June 30, 2018
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Tidal Falls Preserve
On June 30 from 10 am to 2 pm, volunteers at each of the seven Kids Quest locations will greet and entertain families visiting the popular roadside attractions. Each Kids Quest destination includes educational displays explaining the local history, livelihoods, and nature along the Schoodic National Scenic Byway. Volunteers from local organizations will provide interactive, fun, and educational activities and supervise the safety of the seven Kids Quest locations:
- Gravity Rules: See the effects of gravity firsthand at Tidal Falls Preserve, Hancock
- Waukeag Station: Learn about Hancock’s lost railroad at the Hancock side of the Hancock-Sullivan Bridge
- Granite Rocks: Touch tools used to quarry granite at Gordon’s Wharf, Sullivan
- Coastal Waters: Catch remarkable views of Mount Desert Island at the Frenchman Bay Scenic Turnout, Sullivan
- Low Tide Creatures: Find out what lives in the mud at Long Cove Rest Area, Sullivan
- Seaweed Secrets: Discover the importance of seaweed at Sand Cove, Winter Harbor
- Lobster Fishing: Hop in a model lobster boat in Prospect Harbor
At Tidal Falls Preserve, byway partner Frenchman Bay Conservancy is hosting an open house of their new visitor education center from 10 am to 2pm.
Families planning to visit each location should allow at least two hours to travel the byway’s 29 miles and explore the beautiful Downeast coast at each Kids Quest destination. In addition to Kids Quest sites, the byway features Acadia’s only mainland section, incredible views of Mount Desert Island and Frenchman Bay, and quaint towns with working harbors.
Schoodic National Scenic Byway maps featuring Kids Quest locations, picnicking and recreation areas, and other local landmarks are available online at http://www.schoodicbyway.org